Monday, September 22, 2008

My Last Bark


As some of you may know I had a pretty tough weekend. I was feeling pretty badly on Friday & had to be rushed to the vet. I didn’t help the rushing part as I could barely walk. I spent the afternoon at Krueger Animal Hospital where Dr. Bleem took excellent care of me as usual. I started to go home and was to return in the morning for more fluids when Tall Momma noticed my gums were white. Dr. Bleem scooped me up & carried me back inside and said I wasn’t going home. Dr. Bleem thought I had a vascular tumor that was causing blood to push on my heart…keep in mind some of the details are fuzzy. The word “tumor” does that to people.


I had to make a trip to the U of I where they confirmed what Dr. Bleem thought – he is so smart. It was now decision time as to whether I would have surgery or let the tumor do its thing. It was a gut wrenching decision, but it came down to the fact that I would never be able to go home without it. Being a Hoosier, my parents did not want me to pass in Illini Country. So they did the surgery. I came out at 3:30 a.m. and the surgeons found a plum sized tumor on my liver. This liver has always given me trouble!


Dr. Bleem and my parents came to see me Sunday. I looked pretty rough, but the morphine like drugs made me feel pretty good. Most of my belly is shaved and swollen, as is my plow…I kind of like that part J I get to come home tonight. I think Maggie misses me.


The staff at U of I is among the best in the country and has taken wonderful care of me. Lisa is a 4th year vet student who has been great. She is my favorite person here and is the only one I let feed me. Those who know me well, understand how particular I can be.


We all know that this surgery isn’t going to save my life, but at least I will get home for several more months. This blog is going to serve as a way to keep my friends and family updated on my progress. I will also be giving words of wisdom. I have learned a lot along the way. Can you all guess that my parents just read Randy Pausch’s book, the Last Lecture?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Dear Dickens, I'm so sorry to hear about your failing health and my heart goes out to your parents! I wish there were something I could say or do to make things better ... I don't know what I'd do if Ibid or Ditto were to get sick. Know that you all are in my thoughts. Love, deb

johanna Rayman said...

Dear Dickens,

I hear that you're coming home today! What wonderful news. I know how much your moms and Maggie have missed you. Ethel spent some time at U. of I's vet hospital and they are top knotch! I'll bet some yummy wet food will be on the menu.
Love,
Johanna, Kim, Lucy and Ethel

Anonymous said...

Hey little buddy...hope you get better real soon. We need to run the fence and bark a lot!

Love ya,

Kodi and Foxy

Barb said...

Hi Dickens,
Glad to hear you are back home. Sounds like you were in good hands at the U of I Vet Hospital.
You Da Dog!!
beschla

Anonymous said...

Dear Dickens,
we too had to visit the U of I hospital and since we are both Hawkeyes we know how scary an orange and blue place can be, but, they are awesome there, and you are home now so...paws up buddy and take care, we'll keep you in our thoughts and prayers!
Love, Shivas, Lenny and Dr. Lori